Ripples: a free weekly dose of inspiration from Stone Soup Seminars
version 1.42 [Monday, November 1, 1999] ©1999 Stone Soup Seminars
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery;
Today is a gift–that’s why we call it the present!
original source unknown, submitted by Kathryn E. Johnson
Eight Gifts that Do Not Cost A Cent
1) THE GIFT OF LISTENING…But you must REALLY listen. No interrupting, no
daydreaming, no planning your response. Just listening.
2) THE GIFT OF AFFECTION…Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats
on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love
you have for family and friends.
3) THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER…Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories.
Your gift will say, “I love to laugh with you.”
4) THE GIFT OF A WRITTEN NOTE…It can be a simple “Thanks for the help”
note or a full sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a
lifetime, and may even change a life.
5) THE GIFT OF A COMPLIMENT…A simple and sincere, “You look great in
red,” “You did a super job” or “That was a wonderful meal” can make some
6) THE GIFT OF A FAVOR…Every day, go out of your way to do something kind.
7) THE GIFT OF SOLITUDE…There are times when we want nothing better than
to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of
solitude to others.
8) THE GIFT OF A CHEERFUL DISPOSITION…The easiest way to feel good is to
extend a kind word to someone. Really, it’s not that hard to say “Hello”
or “Thank You.”
original source unknown, submitted by Linda Hayden
This week found me traveling to Kiawah Island, South Carolina to hang out
with the U.S. Tennis Association (the hardworking folks who bring you the
U.S. Open and hundreds of other tennis events in every corner of the
country). As we explored strategies to take better care of ourselves, some
of us admitted we start to feel GUILTY whenever we take personal time.
The solution: reframe your personal time as an opportunity to create a
better “helper” for others! When you get tired and burned out, your
ability to help others diminishes. However, the more relaxed and sane you
are, the more effective you are at helping others! AND you are role
modeling good self-care skills at the same time!
C’MON! Give yourself (and others) a gift by doing something really nice
just for YOU!